What is a Thankful Heart?


This is the question that has been plaguing me for years.

What does a thankful heart look like?

Does it mean running around in the midst of tragedy with a huge smile on my face and the age old platitude "God is in control!" bursting from my mouth at every turn?

I really don't think so.

Even Jesus, who knew that God was in control, grieved in the depths of tragedy.

When Jesus came to see Mary, the sister of the currently dead Lazarus, and saw her tears He was moved to tears Himself.
John 11:33-35 (NIV)

33 When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled.... 35 Jesus wept.
Now Jesus knew that He was going to raise Lazarus from the dead. He knew that all would be well. And yet He grieved in the pain of Lazarus' family.

We can grieve and still be thankful. 

We can wonder and still be thankful.

We can search for answers during times of uncertainty and still be thankful.

Accepting the blessings that we are given, freely given, everyday is what a thankful heart does. That may seem like another platitude, but when you get right down to it, that's what a Thankful Heart is.

Now the real question... how do I transform my heart into a Thankful Heart?

 That's what this journey is all about. I hope you will join me!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails